Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Don't Tell Me Jesus

There is a co-worker I have who has recently been going through some tough personal times. I understand the struggles he has been facing and was encouraged in the fact that he felt I was someone he could confide in.

As he opened up about what had been going on in his life I made a conscious effort to really listen. When he got finished he looked at me and said these words...

"What should I do? And don't tell me Jesus."


Here is where it was tough. For me I had been thinking a lot about the fact that I needed to put Jesus out there for my small part of the world. I need to make an impact. Here was what was adding up to be a real opportunity for that and just as quickly that window seemed to close.

Of course I didn't want him to see the sting of his statement so I simply replied "okay, but He is important."

Did I do the right thing? After time to reflect and a recent Piper devotional I believe I did. Here is why. What came next, while not using the word Jesus, was still a direct reflection of my beliefs.

I was able to give my employee advice that was rooted in faith. Offer him examples of my experiences and he appeared open to what I was saying. Here is what I learned.

I wanted opportunities to feel like I was doing something for Jesus, who is very real for me, but I was going about it wanting to feel like I accomplished something. That is not how it can work.

We are called to be disciples and spread the good word. We are to boast in nothing but Jesus. While I felt like I was shortchanging the situation from my point of view, what I learned was that just maybe the interaction was handled exactly the way it needed to be.

Here is a look at the devotional I spoke of:

"Only a few things have gripped me with greater joy than the truth that God loves to show his God-ness by working for me, and that his working for me is always before and under and in any working I do for him. At first it may sound arrogant of us, and belittling to God, to say that he works for us. But that’s only because of the connotation that I am an employer and God needs a job. That’s not the connotation when the Bible talks about God’s working for us. As in: “God works for those who wait for him” (Isaiah 64:4)."

There it is. He is simply looking for us to be open to situations where He can do His work.  Relationship issues, financial problems, careers it all is well within His capabilities if we are willing to take ourselves out of the recognition that comes from it. We are selfish and naturally want to feel accomplished. Considering the end game however go out and boast in He that will do the job better than anyone anyway.

Let Him Work!


No comments:

Post a Comment